Our local authority client based in Cambridgeshire are urgently seeking an experienced Highways Engineer.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
1.To assist in the provision of a high quality, efficient and cost effective Service covering the investigation, design and implementation of hard works associated with various environmental improvements that seek to enhance the quality of the City''s environment.
2. To assist the Team by providing engineering expertise and, as appropriate undertake and oversee design and construction of projects to ensure they are completed safely, to programme and to budget.
3. To assist with other work of the Policy and Projects Team.
1. To undertake investigations on the feasibility of proposed environmental improvements, formulating ideas and solutions and make recommendations about a preferred course of action.
2. To ensure accurate estimates for the implementation of works are prepared.
3. To be responsible for the design of hard works and civil engineering aspects of projects both on and off the public Highway subject to approval, with due regard to the design brief, public consultation, timetable, procedures and costs specified by clients.
4. To assist in the investigation, consultation, and implementation of the environmental improvement programme and be responsible for those elements associated with hard works and civil engineering, subject to approval.
5. To be responsible for the investigation, consultation, and implementation of the Environmental Traffic calming schemes subject to approval.
6. To prepare engineering drawings, schedules and contract documentation and to place orders for works in compliance with the Council''s standing orders and financial guidelines.
7. To visit sites at appropriate intervals to monitor, inspect and check works on the client''s behalf to ensure the contractor has interpreted the contract documents correctly and the work has generally been carried out in accordance with the contract.
8. To ensure, where appropriate, the future maintenance implications and costs of schemes are calculated and made available to clients and the department(s) responsible for such maintenance.
9. Closely monitor all aspects of the work allocated paying particular attention to programming, time spent, costs and budgets and advise the Principal Landscape Architect and the Engineering Projects Manager of any significant matters.
10. To design schemes and prepare simple and easily understandable drawings for residents and interest groups.
11. To negotiate with property owners and agents to help secure necessary approvals.
12. To participate in multi disciplinary teams on a variety of team, departmental and corporate projects and to contribute to the development and implementation of the team and departmental work programme.
13. To attend departmental meetings, working parties and Council Committee meetings as appropriate.
Please apply with your updated CV ensuring that any gaps in employment are explained.
At this point, may we take this opportunity to thank you for the interest you have shown in this role. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not always possible to respond to everyone. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 7 days, your application for this vacancy will have been unsuccessful